Sunday 27 October 2013

Happy Birthday, Digger!!

October 26, 2001 - a historic event happened on that day.  A border terrier was born!  A very special border terrier who is loved and very much a part of my family. His name is Digger - or, The Digster, Digs, DiggerDoon, DiggerDog, DigDig - he's a fine dawg, indeed.  His official name from the breeders is ‘Buckley Star’ but yuk!!!  We had to change his name and struggled to do so. We finally settled on Digger, which is what his breed are supposed to do (dig a lot) but which he didn't start doing until about 2 years ago.  He is now 12 years old.  I guess should have started these monologues back in 2001; however, I still had dial-up internet, no real sense of what blogging was (did we have blogs that far back?) and I had just submitted my thesis and couldn't be bothered to do anything else but veg out, take care of my dog, and my family.

So here I am 12 years later starting a blog about my beloved Digs.  I didn't really want a dog.  I had enough to take care of with 2 children and a husband and I sure didn't need an animal thrown in the mix.  Besides, I grew up with cats (Pharaoh, Little Kitty, Satan – yes my siblings and I were allowed to name our black Korat cat and Satan is all we could muster.  Outrageous, I know.) and really didn't know the first thing about raising a dog. My kids begged for a dog, with all the promises of helping take care of him, blah, blah, blah.  But guess who ended up taking care of Digger?? Yes, of course – the mamma!!!  He became very much a mamma’s dogs and when he arrived in our home, I spent the month of December in my kitchen with him, opening the back door when he needed to ‘go toilet’ or cleaning up after him when he couldn't quite make it outside.  So the journey began, in 2001, with my dog in the kitchen.

Why am I writing this anyway?  Those of you with a dog will understand the immense pleasure a family pet brings to all involved and how you grow to love that dog, who is, more often than not, easier to be around than those you married or gave birth to.  My dear friend, Melanie, was a bit worried when I first got a dog.  I swore I would never get a dog and sure didn't want to take care of one. So when I got one, she was rightly concerned. Then one day, when she came to visit, she saw me with Digger, cradled on his back in my arms and I was stroking his stomach like you would a baby’s.  She burst out laughing and told me she couldn't believe how I was so ‘googoo-gaagaa’ over a dog.  She, who is a great lover of our fine, four-legged friends, said, ‘Welcome to the club!’  She never imagined that I would be a convert, a dog lover, a pushover for Digger. Those of you without a dog may think “I could care less about what this dog lover has to say about her dog, her family, her faith, her life”, so feel free to follow or not. But I have found, over the years, that my dog has taught me so much about what it means to be human, what it means to be a child of God, what it means to love unconditionally, to be a better parent, to be a better friend, to love me for who I am and not for what others expect of me.  I have come to realize that if God can use get a donkey to speak to get Balaam’s attention (Numbers 22: 21-31 in the Old Testament), he could use Digger to get mine.  I was going to entitle this blog ‘The Gospel according to Digger’ but I think four gospels are plenty enough!

So what I have learned from Digger today?  This, and every morning he eagerly awaits my coming down the stairs to greet him, to pet him, to ‘love on him’ and to feed him. He waits patiently while I wake up with my drug of choice (caffeine via a strong cup of coffee) and then jumps up when I ask him if he wants to go for a walk.  He’s ready to wait patiently when necessary, to come when needed, to seek me out when lonely, to allow me to love on him when and how I can, to forgive when I accidentally step on him.  I wish I could be more like my dog with my fellow human beings. 

The only problem with Digger is his breath.  Despite all the teeth cleanings and chew toys, he’s got ‘old dog breath’.  That’s one area in which I don’t want to be like him but who knows.  I’m not as old as he is yet.  



1 comment: