Tuesday 21 January 2014

Disco Digs (in which Digger gets his groove on!)


21 Janurary 2014

I took my husband to the train station today.  He’s off to London to make his daily crust and couldn’t possibly have walked the 20 minutes or so from our house to catch the train.  It’s too foggy/damp/yukky/dark, etc, etc.  Besides, he had to bring me my morning coffee at 6:45 am so I would be able to function enough to drive him to the station.
 
It was still dark when we left the house and, because of this, Digger donned his disco collar.  I call it a disco collar because it’s neon yellow with bright red flashing lights all around it.  It enables me to see him in the dark, since Digger’s the colour of the mud that is currently engulfing the nation!  My husband was appalled and asked why Digger was being subjected to such humiliation! ‘His new disco collar is cool and besides, everyone has his/her disco phase!’ said I, with great conviction.
 
So Digger, with his immensely coveted (amongst dogs, anyway) disco collar, ventured out into the wilds of Rothamsted Park (http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/) with his mates Jimmy and Dougy (who sports a rather fetching blue disco collar) and went on his daily explore, confident in the fact that the Alpha could spot him wherever he was (or at least call him and he’d raise his head above the grass to show his collar).

I wonder, sometimes, what my ‘disco collar’ looks like to my Alpha.  What is it that He sees in me that singles me out from the crowd, that He can spot when I’ve got my nose buried deep into whatever project I happened to be sniffing around, that when He calls and I raise my head, he can see that collar and thus know where I am? Most assuredly my collar is ‘talent’.  I bet my dramatic talents, quick wit and charm, not to mention my razor-sharp intellect really are the things that single me out in a crowd, to my Maker (she says, tongue in cheek).   Surely the collar of this drama queen sparkles loud and proud, right?  Loud enough for Him to notice, I bet.  No, I think the disco collar around my neck is ‘daughter’. All because He loves me and longs to see me even in the darkest of nights, even when I go astray. Phew!  Even when I’m exhausted and can’t do another thing, He still is able to pick me out of a crowd.
 

Digger has a disco collar for this very reason – to spot him in the dark, in the mud, in the woods, on his journey, to make sure he’s close, safe and in my sight. All because I adore that disco king, I do!


 

This is a photo of the much loved new corgi named Clyde, who is the latest family member in the Lancaster household.  My sister-in-law, Dena, just got him and I know that he will be so very happy in that house.  Please send in more of your dog photos!!!!!!

No comments: