Wednesday 1 January 2014

Ode to My Girlie (or: my 'happy' in Happy New Year)

1 January 2014

Good morning, everyone.  This is Digger writing to you for the very first Digger Dogologue of 2014.  My Alpha (aka Dana) is still in bed (how is it that she’s still asleep at 9:30 am!! Outrageous!!). She must be sleeping off last night’s madness in London.  So, here I am, a loyal, faithful and true companion, taking up the slack and getting this dogologue out to you in a timely manner.

My Alpha and I apologize that you have not heard from us in ages.  I’ve been busy taking naps, chasing pigeons off the roof of our garage, chewing bones, eating, pooing, sleeping, getting ‘loved on’ and hanging with my mates on the Nickey Line and in Rothampstead Park.  My Alpha has monopolized her time by playing the clown for Acting Up! (www.actingup.uk.com), travelling back and forth from England to New York, visiting with her amazing friend, Rocio (to whom many thanks are due for taking good care of me while My Alpha went off to NYC), preparing for Christmas and cooking and eating loads!  You’d think she’d use her time more wisely so as to make the dogologue a priority. (wink wink!)  Never mind!  It’s Digger to the rescue!!!!!  Just call me Wonder Dog!

So, for the New Year posting, I decided NOT to list all my resolutions for 2014 because I have my priorities in line and my goal is to fulfil my priorities.  You know the priorities, right??  Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, eat sensibly (my IBD is under control), go for long walks with my Alpha and make sure I spend plenty of time with her and pay attention to what she has planned for us and of course, just be me!  I’m good at being me and I make lots of people smile by just being me.  So, since these priorities have always been there, I don’t have to go through the routine of making resolutions. “But what will you write about, Digger?”, you ask???

I’d like to write an ode to a very special girlie in my life and she’s known me for many years and I love her lots (and besides, I sleep in her room anytime she’s home and that makes me feel very safe and cosy!).  She taught me how to sit, lie down, shake paws, and wait patiently till she called my name.  People think I’m a very clever dog because I can do all these tricks, but if it hadn’t been for her tutelage, no one would know what I’m capable of.   Her name is Georgia and this month her very first book of poetry is being published.  Her blog is: http://www.georgialynneallen.com/.  Check it out and buy her book.  I can’t read but I hear it’s good! 

I cannot hold a candle to her poetry writing; she’s been practicing a long time and is naturally gifted in writing.  She comes from a long line of poets – both her great grandmother and grandmother were poets – and has written loads of stuff. So, the following is called “An Ode to My Girlie” and I hope you all have a wonderful happy new year!!



 Ode to My Girlie

A long time ago, in a faraway town
You chose me from the pack and you said, all around,
“This is my doggy, the one we’re taking home,
The one who’ll be with me wherever I roam.”
For the joy set before you, you exclaimed with great glee,
“I’m no longer just I but rather a we.”
Together we played, laughed, cuddled and slept.
Then off you went to study. I missed you, but kept
Looking for you upstairs and down.
You then returned home. I’m happy as a clown.
You’re the sweetest girlie a dog could ever know.
And I’ll stay by your side wherever you go.
You are my ‘happy’ in this Happy New Year
For when I am with you, there is nothing to fear.
So, remember, my Georgia, that from the bottom of my heart
I think you are sweet and so are your farts.

  

p.s.  Dana is back next week to raise the tone of the blog. Also, be sure to send in more photos of your dogs.  They will be posted. 

No comments: